Monday, May 19, 2014

You Only Get One Body

I usually try to mix in some funny pictures and jokes on my blog just to keep things interesting, but today is a heartfelt day for me.  Not only is it my birthday, but I also get to go see someone that is dear to me in the hospital after surgery.

We spend so much time worrying about our weight, our hair, and whether or not our toenails look right for summer sandals.  And of course the infamous...did I shave my legs before deciding to wear these shorts today?

My whole blog is devoted to women's body image and fighting against the media machine.  Today, I want to express that your body is beautifully and wonderfully made.  Think of all of the things your body does for you on a regular basis that you take for granted: digesting, sleeping, walking, expressing...the list goes on and on.  Here is where real beauty lies:


Your body takes care of you on a daily basis breathing for you, keeping your heart beating, keeping those nerves sensitive.  What have you done for your body?  Other than critique it, harm it, and talk about it like it's not good enough.  Know when it is good enough?  When suddenly you don't have all of those things that you took advantage of previously.  

Looking "pretty" isn't worth damaging the greatest gift you've been given on this earth.  

You know the saying "Real beauty is on the inside?"  I take that to mean quite literally as well as spiritually.  For every time that you think something bad about your body, counter that with something your body has done for you today.  The list will be endless.



No comments:

Post a Comment