Monday, May 12, 2014

The Old Navy...Thigh Gap?

In a previous blog, I discussed the trend of thigh gaps: http://beautyandthecurves.blogspot.com/2013/10/mind-thigh-gap.html

Old Navy has started a new campaign with Amy Poehler, who I think is a very funny lady.  But there are two things in their most recent commercials that bother me.

Thing #1


Thing #2


Normally, when I think of Old Navy from personal experience shopping there, I think of normal girl clothing, one step above disposable, at a good price.  They are great about having many sizes available for all sizes of women.  

In the past, they have used nothing but thin models (if they're not celebrities), but this year their choice in women and wardrobe is disappointing.

Why are they stuffing these already thin women into pants that they clearly can't even walk in?  Then on top of it, it creates a thigh gap.  Is that the image they're trying to push with these new pants?

Whenever I see advertising like this, I just wonder, why?  Why did the director, casting director, and marketing head for Old Navy approve something that doesn't even coincide with their brand?  This looks like an Abercrombie and Fitch move.  

Both of these commercials are focusing on selling these pants.  

Ladies, let's put it out there...do you look at these pictures and think, "Oh, I'll look great in these!"

If you were to try these pants on in a store, you now have this visual expectation set before you as to what these pants are "supposed to look like." 

I have to ask Old Navy, 

"What you are accomplishing by promoting a thigh gap in your models who are selling your new line of pants?"  

These are choices that companies make when casting.  This is clearly their idea of perfection.  And I'm telling you, you don't have to look like this.  Don't buy what they're selling.  Whether you take that to mean mentally or literally, Old Navy is producing one more subconscious acceptance and push for thigh gap.  

And I, for one, will push back.


No comments:

Post a Comment