Monday, May 5, 2014

#EffYourBeautyStandards

There are times that I like to devote my blog to spreading awareness about other women and/or organizations that support women of all sizes to love and appreciate their bodies.  One woman that I recently learned about was Tess Munster.


She is a plus sized model who has created a movement called "Eff Your Beauty Standards."  She was an unknown single mother working hard to make ends meet when she was inspired to tell everyone that she loved the way she looked and wasn't ashamed to show it off.

She now travels the U.S. as inspirational speaker for women across the country living the life she promotes.  I follow her on Facebook and on her blog.  It's always inspiring to get a reminder to love your body, and she does an amazing and fearless job of it.

Since the movement has gained footing, she now has EffYourBeautyStandards merchandise that you can buy to support the movement: http://tess-munster.highwire.com/

Sometimes she receives criticism, because no one's life is safe from it if you enter the public eye.  Some women don't like that she allows for photoshop in her photos, but I think they're missing her point.  She's not shrinking her figure, and she takes lots of unedited photos for her various social media outlets.  However, the professional photos that are used for merchandising are photoshopped, because she's doing what she wants to do.  Some photos will have photoshop and some won't.  Here is the important thing to me:

She doesn't hide the photoshop.

Recently named one of the world's top plus size models by Refinery 29, Huff Post, & Vogue Italia

The reason why the modeling/media world drives me nuts is because they act like every photo you see is real.  If women would step forward and say, "This or that is fake.  I had implants.  I had lipo."  Whatever the case may be, then at least they're being honest and not leading young girls to believe they were just born that way.

I would consider myself a fan of Tess Munster.  If you'd like to become her fan too, here are some links:

And let's join Tess in saying,

#EffYourBeautyStandards

No comments:

Post a Comment