Monday, January 13, 2014

Why Marilyn was and isn't a Size 14

This is a short little blog (lots going on in Miss Blogger's world), but I've seen some frustrating posts online (and have for some time) regarding sizing for one particular Hollywood bombshell for quite some time.  I've decided to clear the air for my readers.

Often times when speaking of embracing curves, men and women alike will refer to Marilyn Monroe.  And why wouldn't you?  She was beautiful...and yes, curvy.




Marilyn's measurements are said to have been approximately 34/28/37.  But she was a size 14 (some say 12, some say 16).  So before you go and get confused, allow me to explain.

Pattern companies stopped adjusting sizes in the 1960s, but retail kept vanity sizes changing as we got larger.  Today, Marilyn would be approximately a size 6.  Yes, it's true.  But if she were to make a dress from a pattern she would still be a size 14.

Back at a costume store I used to manage, we had an authentic, vintage 1950's size 8 dress.  The waist measurement?  A whopping 23".  TINY.  So tiny, I never saw it rent, but one time for a middle school production.  And I believe the girl was maybe 12 years old.

I know that citing Marilyn Monroe creates a lot of frustration, because most people don't know the way of the retail/design world.

So to end your frustration once and for all:

Yes, Marilyn was a 14.  And yes, Marilyn is a 6.  Funny the difference a few years can make.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct ( or almost so). When I was growing up, there used to be a saying "a perfect size 12", but a size 12 was about a 6 now.. I would say that a 14 then would be an 8 now. The average woman weighed 135 (versus 165 now). I weigh 190 now and wear a 16 or 14 sheath dress!!!! Of course it isn't the same 14 as the one from the 60s. It just makes me feel good. I was born in 1950 and weighed about 124 to 132 until I was about 45. I used to wear a 7 or 8 or 9 at 124, and my measurements were about the same as Marilyn's. I always thought I was fat and was always on a diet trying to weigh 117. At 132 I wore about a 10 or 11. They had already up sized a little by then.

    ReplyDelete