Monday, October 21, 2013

What is Feminism? **Contains Adult Content

*This blog contains pictures of adult nature.

What is feminism?



That's a loaded question that encompasses many varying aspects.  To try to summarize feminism in one blog would be a bit overwhelming.  However, there was a certain subject brought to my attention that has now spawned this blog.

If you don't know me personally, I'm a conservative woman.  I believe in a woman having the right to choose whether she wants to stay at home with her children or be an equal force in the workplace.  And I believe both are noble decisions.  Sometimes it is up to a woman to be mother, father, and breadwinner for her children.

This blog often chronicles my fight against "the media machine," which often paints an unrealistic image of beauty and tells our young girls to fulfill it.  I like to lean on the positive side and provide awareness of the ideals smothered into the air that we breathe.  In other words, I like to keep it real.

I will never be a bra burner.  I, personally, would like my boobs to stay somewhere in the vicinity of my chest for most of my life.



Most of my time is spent without make-up working hard, but I love to dress up in pretty heels, red lipstick, and a wiggle dress.  That's what makes being a woman fun.

My mind has been cranking around a certain feminist who is causing an uproar.  Her name is Petra Collins and she contributes to a women's blog on the Huffington Post website.

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/petra-collins/why-instagram-censored-my-body_b_4118416.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false)

 The two of us have many things in common when it comes to our beliefs of the damage that the Hollywood machine produces.  The over-sexualization of women is a large component of what we share in our beliefs.  And yet I hugely disagree with how she chooses to conduct her battle.

The article above chronicles how her Instagram account was shut down for this photo:


As you can tell from the photo, she has decided to go "all natural" with her personal grooming and is showcasing said decision.  She is personally offended by the commentary of people on how disgusting it is, and puts the blame back on the people making the comments.  Finger pointing aside, I ask of her, "What do you hope to accomplish with this photo?"  I would think her response would be something to the affect of, "I hope to break down the walls of stereotype and force people to accept something outside of the norm as beautiful."

She is also known for a controversial t-shirt wherein a drawing depicts a woman sexually pleasuring herself while menstruating:


As a fellow woman, I feel embarrassed.  


To me, this is nothing but convoluting the fight.

Let's refocus, ladies.  And I do mean it.  Let's be ladies again.

How can we ever expect to receive respect when we don't show ourselves respect?  Use your brains, your wit, and your abilities to accomplish great things.  Be a woman of charity and kindness, not a facilitator of controversy.  Be beautiful without belittling the temple that is your body.  Own your rights to your body from the beginning when you make the choice to be sexually active.  Reserve the right to say no, because you're a woman who wants more than a one-night stand.  Don't wait until you're already pregnant to decide to take responsibility for the gift of motherhood.

Think of the most powerful women in the world.  Do you think they would ever be associated with things so crude?  Consider any First Lady or world leader.  It would be beneath them, and it should be beneath you.

That doesn't mean you can't be pretty or sexy, but we all know that line between self-respect and none.  Your vagina has nothing to do with equality.  Isn't that the point?

So put it away and start looking up to better role models.








No comments:

Post a Comment